Nor burn the new-grown clover;
Winter must lose his reign.
(\___/)
(>´x´<)
('.')__('.')

Nijntje - de echte nederlandse konijn

Ly

Well done.  ;D

Just thy swapping of thou and you is strange unto me, for, if thou usest thou, why not also in the first verse?
It isn't always how you look. Look at me. I'm handsome like anything, and I haven't got anybody to marry me yet.

amarillo

Pray thee, caru, glorious soul
for reaping praise of finest sound.
Thou playest now the focused role,
a wizzard fooling man abound.
Das Leben strebt mit Urgewalt nach Entstehung und Musik.

Ly

Zitat von: amarillo in 2005-04-15, 22:45:13
Pray thee, caru, glorious soul
for reaping praise of finest sound.
Thou playest now the focused role,
a wizzard fooling man abound.

Not better "praise" instead of pray? Thou canst not pray someone, thou just canst pray unto somone, but thou canst very well praise someone.

Moreover he shall not be praised till he useth "thou" in his whole poem. Stilistic inconsesty (my orthography...) is something which enerveth me.
It isn't always how you look. Look at me. I'm handsome like anything, and I haven't got anybody to marry me yet.

amarillo

Ye better wait until you've read
the verse that show you clearer.
Dare not to teach me, honeybread,
I've been to English nearer!

Ly

Zitat von: amarillo in 2005-04-15, 23:06:56
Ye better wait until you've read
the verse that show you clearer.
Dare not to teach me, honeybread,
I've been to English nearer!

Swapping ye and you is not much better, thou knowest.  ;D

amarillo

Du bist auf meiner Liste!

Ly

caru

wenn shakespeare als autorität für klassisches englisch gelten kann, rufe ich ihn hiermit zum zeugen des you-thou-wechsels.

im elisabethanischen englisch, auf dem "gehobene" englische literatursprache bis in neueste zeit fußt, verstief man sich nicht einer bestimmten person gegenüber auf die eine oder andere anrede (wie man es bei uns zulande heute tut, wo man mit jemandem bruderschaft trinken muß, um von "sie" auf "du" zu kommen, und sich zerstreiten, um wieder "sie" zu sagen).
vielmehr wahl man das "you" in sozusagen "normalen" gesprächssituationen, aber auch in förmlichen, wolchs aber zum "thou", wenn es vertraulicher wurde oder stärkere emotion hinter der rede stand.

in The Taming of the Shrew V 2 gibt es eine stelle, wo ein herr gegenüber seinem diener erst höflich bleibt, sich dann aber ob dessen frecher lüge plötzlich so aufregt, daß er ihn - im selben satz! - thout:

What, you notorious villain, didst thou never see thy master's father, Vincentio?

ungefähr so hab ich's mit dem schurkischen april gehalten.
(\___/)
(>´x´<)
('.')__('.')

Ly

"Indeed, you come near me now, Hal ... And, I prithee, sweet wag, when thou art a king, as God save thy Grace – Majesty, I should say; for grace thou wilt have none –"

Aber dass Shakespeare das so gemacht hat ändert nichts - das ist stilistische Inkonsistenz und damit schlecht ;D

amarillo

Much as caru's use of thou and you may be that of stylistic inconsisteny (which I largely doubt!), your comment seems to be that of impertinence - or may I say juvenile incontinence?

Why don't you sit down on your little backside and write a letter to the Royal Shakespeare Society explaining them once for all that the very centre of their research wasn't but a phoney who couldn't keep his pronouns in line? They will appreciate that, kids like you and their unsolicited comments are exactly what will keep them going.

Ly

Impertinence? Sure. I'm 13 years old. Everything I do in my life is impertinence.

I don't pretend that Shakespeare was a phoney who couldn't keep his pronouns in line, but it is right. At the Royal Shakespeare Society (Gosh, does such a thing exist?) I highly doubt that they'll even read what children like me would write to them. And even if they did, the British people are much to stubborn - pardon, I meant to say: traditional to accept that Shakespeare was a poet like thousands of others. There are better poets, there are more successful poets, there are even poets who are indeed able to stick with a pronoun when they've chosen it. But, of course, all these things don't matter. But what does matter. Shakespeare was bad. About a third of his plays were halfway decent, another third were halfway competent, and the remaining plays were... well... remaining.

I really don't know what all these people are on about him.

caru

.oO(I'd better keep out of this discussion  :P if this here kid won't respect Old Shakie, he'll hardly have any respect for me ::))
(\___/)
(>´x´<)
('.')__('.')

Kilian

Zitat von: amarillo in 2005-04-18, 11:30:49
Much as caru's use of thou and you may be that of stylistic inconsisteny (which I largely doubt!), your comment seems to be that of impertinence - or may I say juvenile incontinence?

Why don't you sit down on your little backside and write a letter to the Royal Shakespeare Society explaining them once for all that the very centre of their research wasn't but a phoney who couldn't keep his pronouns in line? They will appreciate that, kids like you and their unsolicited comments are exactly what will keep them going.

Wie magst du deine Rederei
Nur gleich so hitzig übertreiben!

Nicht, dass Ly Verteidigung nötig hätte, aber das hab ich persönlich extrem gern, wenn einer so unsouverän auf eine Respektlosigkeit gegenüber einer "Autorität" reagiert und es nötig hat, a) weitere Autoritäten herbeizuzitieren und b) auf dem Alter des Kritikers herumzuhacken. Hauptsache, dass Shakespeare auf dem hohen Thron und die Jugend in Demut verharrt.

Zitat von: Ly in 2005-04-18, 07:04:19Aber dass Shakespeare das so gemacht hat ändert nichts - das ist stilistische Inkonsistenz und damit schlecht ;D

Glaub ich nicht. caru hat doch schon an einem Beispiel demonstroren, wie eine solche "Inkonsistenz" sich mit Bedeutung füllen lässt - und was man heute im Englischunterricht lernt, um unfallfrei geradeausreden zu können, lässt sich kaum als Maßstab für die sprachliche Qualität von Shakespeare heranziehen.

But hence the smiley, I guess. :D

amarillo

Fein, dann können wir ja umgehend die enge Spur des respektvollen Umgangs verlassen und uns wie Säue auf dem Sofa benehmen.
In meinem speziellen Fall dürfte man sich ja bereits auf die einsetzende Senilität berufen. Und um demnächst meine Unerschämtheiten zu verbrämen, setze ich eine lustigen Smiley hinter jede Beleidigung oder Dummheit.;D

Wie souverän meine Haltung in diesem und in anderen Fällen ist, wird sich aus diesem Forum kaum Deiner Urteilskraft erschließen.

Das liebe Ly wird kaum Deiner Verteidigung bedürfen, auch caru bedarf der meinen nicht, andererseits sehe ich nicht ein, daß jeder naseweise Stuß kommentarlos hingenommen wird.

Welche Arroganz bewiese ich, stellte ich mich kommentarlos einfach über das "pubertäre Geplapper" einer 13jährigen Göre?

Der Umstand, daß ich in Harnisch gerate, reicht doch wohl aus aufzuzeigen, daß ich bereit bin, das Kind ernst zu nehmen. ;D